Polish Baking Contest
3 CATEGORIES OF TRADITIONAL POLISH PASTRIES:
- Babka – A sweet, rich leavened cake traditionally baked in a classic Babka pan or other fluted pan. The Babka is typically taller than it is wide and narrower at the top than at the bottom. The name comes from the Polish word for Grandmother. Its shape is reminiscent of an old woman’s wide, swirling skirt. Babka is frequently served at holiday, wedding and other celebrations.
- Makowiec – A sweet bread rolled up, jelly-roll fashion, with a poppyseed filling. Typically the dough and filling layers should be equal thicknesses. The filling is spread over the dough, which is then rolled into a long cylinder or log. Some recipes add icing after baking and sprinkle poppyseeds on top.
- Kolaczki – Flaky little pastries, sometimes considered cookies, traditionally filled with fruit, poppyseed or sweet cheese fillings. Traditional fruit fillings are apricot, raspberry and prune. Sometimes called Polish Foldovers, they can be round, square, diamond shaped or have all four corners folded toward the middle. The dough can be flaky or yeast-risen.
Note: No refrigeration available for storage of food items.
KONKURS PIECZENIA – POLISH BAKING CONTEST SCHEDULE
Saturday Aug 11th
10-12 am – Drop of your Baking Entries at Riverplace PACIM Library, Suite 228.
TCPF “runners” will be available at RiverPlace 55 SE Main St, door adjacent to Wilde Roast Cafe, to accept your entries.
1-3 pm – Baking Contest Judging
4-6:30 pm – Baking Entries on Display at PACIM LIBRARY in RiverPlace, Suite 228
Sunday Aug 12th
1:15 pm Winners Announced on the Cultural Stage
POLISH BAKING CONTEST RULES
- Open to everyone – need not be Polish or live in Minnesota!
- Contestants may enter all three (3) categories, but only one (1) entry per category. Festival committee members and immediate family are not eligible.
- Mail-in registration is required. A separate registration form must be filled out for each entry, but they can all be sent in the same envelope. Send to:
Twin Cities Polish Festival–Baking Contest, PO Box 19312, Minneapolis, MN 55419-0312
Must be postmarked by Tuesday, August 7, 2012.
- Your Polish recipe must be submitted when you deliver your food item. If desired, please indicate how the recipe is special to you or your family and anything special that you would like the judges to know about your recipe — ingredients used, unusual method, special pan needed, etc.
- By entering the contest you agree to allow your picture and recipe to be used by the Twin Cities Polish Festival for publicity and other promotional purposes.
- Entries must be delivered between 10 am–noon on Saturday, August 11, to Room (TBD) at Riverplace. Your recipe and entry submission form must be attached to your food item. Please use disposable plates/trays and place food in a plastic bag.
- Judging will be on Saturday afternoon between 1-5 pm. Foods will be judged on appearance, taste, texture, tenderness and moisture.
- Presentation of winners will be on Sunday, August 12 at 1:30 pm on the Cultural Stage.
- Food items will be on display at Riverplace on Saturday, August 11, from 6-9 pm.
The Polish Baking Contest is sponsored by
POLISH BAKING CONTEST REGISTRATION FORM
Click here for the registration form.